Fighting for Kansas
We will continue our fight against the intrusive reach of the federal government into the lives of Kansas families:
- Energy regulations implemented by President Obama’s EPA are costing Kansas businesses and families $227 million more a year in increased utility bills. We will continue to support an all-inclusive energy policy that supports domestic production of affordable and reliable energy, such as the clean coal plant at Holcomb.
- Obamacare has already caused thousands of Kansans to receive cancellation notices for their health insurance. Health insurance costs are expected to increase by 129% for many Kansans and 22% for a family of four. We will continue our work to seek Kansas solutions to our health care challenges, not accept the solutions imposed upon us by unelected bureaucrats in Washington. I have rejected a federal grant that expedites the arrival of Obamacare in Kansas and signed legislation that provides flexibility for our state to pursue health care policy opportunities that serve the best interests of Kansans.
- The unnecessary listing of the Lesser Prairie Chicken is threatening the private property rights of thousands of Kansans, halting the development of our energy resources, and harming economic development opportunities for our rural communities. I have signed legislation and filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to protect the interests of Kansans from these new harmful federal regulations.
- New regulations recently announced by the EPA propose to regulate Kansas ponds and ditches. They would likely require permits for routine agricultural activities. I have sent a letter to the President asking him to withdraw the proposed rule and have directed the Departments of Agriculture and Health and Environment to file formal comments in opposition to the regulation.
- U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has threatened legal action against the state of Kansas for supporting legislation protecting the 2nd Amendment rights of law abiding citizens. The right to keep and bear arms is a right that Kansans hold dear and I will always fight to protect it.
- The aviation industry, which is the heart and soul of the Wichita economy, has been under attack by the Obama Administration. He has relentlessly opposed corporate aircraft manufacturers and damaged relationships with friendly nations that are potential customers for the defense aviation industry. I will continue to support the men and women who work hard everyday to produce the world’s best airplanes.
- The Obama Administration continues to extend their reach into the classrooms and lunchrooms of Kansas. Decisions made for our children on standards, assessments, and accreditation should be made for Kansans by Kansans. I favor local control.